Friday, June 16, 2017

Poof! A Book is Born: Teaser Excerpt and Update

Happy to announce my novel The Shells of Mersing is ready for release June 23. Uhh.....that's next F-R-I-D-A-Y! It's really going to happen! I dreamed a story and POOF....a book is born.


The Shells of Mersing will be featured at 25% off on the landing page of Evernight Teen's website for one week upon release, but I'll remind everyone again when it happens. I made the below image and thought it might work in a book trailer  but I'm still working on the details. 




A teaser excerpt - The Shells of Mersing:


Groaning, his eyes flicker open. “What happened?”

“Don’t move, Mr. Pirone. I’ll get Judith.”

He grabs my wrist. “You’ll do no such thing. Help me up.” His face softens. “Please, I hurt my back.” I pull him to his feet.

He staggers to the door and stops mid step at the threshold, hanging there for the longest time. “What are you doing here?” he finally says.

“Benjamin, my old friend,” a male voice replies.

Benny inches backward. Glancing back at me, he speaks in a low deliberate voice, “Run, Callie.” He mumbles something else, but all I really hear are his first words. Run, Callie.

A muffled pop pierces the air. Benny falls to his knees and collapses face down. I cover my mouth, stifling a scream, afraid to move as blood gushes from a bullet hole in Benny’s temple. A crimson pool forms on the floor.

A flashlight beam travels over his face and the wound. I gasp, recalling the glowing moon eyes in my dream. The beam of light shines on my face next and goes out, blinding me at first.

“Who’s there? Please. Who are you?”

A cold, unmistakable chill travels down my spine, and then I see him, a man clad in black. He steps over Benny’s body, entering the room. A gun hangs loose at his side in his black gloved hand. I step backward. He flicks his black hair away from his face and moves closer. Two sunken cheeks dominate his long face. A red scar zigzags across his nose. He’s young, in his twenties, maybe thirties. He eyes Benny’s body, snickering to himself.

A toilet flushes upstairs. Please let it be Judith. I step to the side, eyeing the door and the stairs behind him. I can run for it. I can do this.

He snatches my hand. “Not so fast.” His steely eyes are those of a cobra’s. I can almost hear the hiss when his bony fingers clamp down, pinching me. He forces my palm over the gun handle, curving my index finger around the trigger. “You tell anyone about me, and I’ll kill you. Your mama too.”

My mouth goes dry. “My mother?”

He smiles, a cruel deliberate sneer. “That’s right, your mama in Thailand.”

My heart rips apart, a scream building inside. This horrid man knows my mother. He knows her!

His cobra eyes gloat. “Yeah, that’s right. I think you understand. Now don’t forget.”

I struggle to move the gun wedged in my hand. No, I’ll never forget your warning and cruel voice, or your snakelike stare and jagged scar.

He snorts. “Tell them it was self-defense.” He kicks Benny’s body as he leaves.

My knees shake as I watch him disappear. The soles of my feet are molded to the floor. I have a gun frozen in my hand, and a scream welling up inside. No one would believe me in a million years if I told the truth, because the only truth I could fabricate is an outright lie. Tell them it was self-defense, he said. But I can’t lie, nor can I live with the deadly consequences of the truth.

Judith rushes into the room. I have no idea when. Seconds, minutes, hours could have passed. I’m standing where the stranger left me.

******



17 comments:

  1. Good luck Sharon with your new book, sure to be a success.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, it sounds exciting! I wish you all the very best with it.

    The Wizardry Of Jewish Women - The New Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's pretty fast paced. This book went from 60k to 90k as certain subplots were developed. I then had to downsize it to below 80k. Lots of revision!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your new book coming out next week! Your other book is tantalizing and leaves one wanting more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, just the one book. Oh, you mean the A-Z pilots :) Thanks, Birgit!

      Delete
  4. So exciting to have a release date!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon - it does look fast paced ... and fascinating excerpt ... good luck - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary. Lots happens in this adventure that takes the characters from Seattle to Malaysia and Thailand!

      Delete
  6. Yikes! Intense and intriguing. She should have run, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! Yep pretty excited to tell Callie's story.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations!!! I'd like to promote your book on my blog. Email me an excerpt or giveaway or whatever you like and I'll post next week! laurisawhitereyes at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. Thank you so much much, and welcome to my blog. I'll be in touch soon!!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.