Saturday, April 26, 2014

W is for Wax Jambu: Yummy Fruits A-Z

The color of wax jambu ranges
from pale pink to red and purple.
Wax Jambu (or wax apple) is an exotic fruit native to the Philippines, India, Indonesia and Malaysia. Common throughout Southeast Asia, it is also found in Australia, Africa, Central and South America, and the U.S. (mainly Florida and Southern California).





Wax Jambu trees grow to 35 feet.

 
Wax jambu is mostly used in Asian salads, as in a popular
Thai shrimp salad, but the fruit is also enjoyed plain. The wax-like skin makes it an especially attractive fruit sliced. 





 
Paler is sweeter
Despite its alternate name, wax apple, wax jambu does not taste like an apple, but more like a snow pear. The texture is crisp like watermelon (but less juicy), and the taste is slightly sour. Some are sweeter than others, depending on the variety. The paler the color, the sweeter it is. 

Some of the nutritional benefits are wax jambu's effectiveness against dysentery and use as a diuretic. Interestingly, it has zero vitamin C or vitamin A, although it is high in potassium and has some calcium and protein.

Have you ever eaten wax jambu?

Wax Jambu Recipe

"Wax Jambu Salsa"

4 wax jambus, chopped
1/4 cup onions, chopped
2 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
2 chili peppers, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of ground fennel

Mix well and let sit 2 hours before serving.

Wax Jambu Music

Some nice guitar at the popular Wax Jambu Restaurant
(London - 2009) "Waiting for Breakfast" (video)




Sources: http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Thai_Wax_Apple_7608.php; http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Wax_Apple; http://www.fruitsinfo.com/Wax-jambu-Exotic-fruits.php; http://www.tropicalfruit.com/Wax-Jambu-Java-Apple-tree-3-Gallon_p_185.html; http://www.thirdage.com/nc/f-127403/wax-jambu-rose-apple-edible-portion-fresh-fruit; http://www.fruitsinfo.com/Wax-jambu-Exotic-fruits.php;





Sharon M. Himsl

Writer/Author. Blogging since 2011. 
Published with Evernight Teen: 
~~The Shells of Mersing

24 comments:

  1. Nope, that's another new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of this fruit, although it's possible I've tasted it when I go the the local Thai restaurant. Thanks for the info and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if we call it something different in Aus - I don't recognise it. It's probably in a different part of the country to where I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's there somewhere! Thanks for visiting, Trisha.

      Delete
  4. It's a pretty fruit. You lost me a snow pear. Never had one of those either.
    Madhur Jaffrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this fruit, much less eaten it. I think it is so interesting to learn about all these different fruits though, I had no idea you could come up with a whole alphabet full of fruit! I think that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried one, but they sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting fruit. I have never eaten one but I would be willing to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they had this in the stores...maybe they do, I need to check.

      Delete
  8. Another fruit I would love to try and have never heard of. I must ask my friend who has spent his 3rd winter in Thailand (lucky bugger) and ask him if he has tried this fruit

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me fooled I though it was an artificial fruit made of wax!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I have but we call it something else. I can't think of it, or the Thai name either. Can eating fruit help one's memory?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon .. all these fruits look delicious and Wax Apple look so beautiful and is something I've never tried ... I definitely will be back to read through the posts again ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have never heard of wax jambo before, much less eaten any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. I've learned a lot. Thanks, Heather!

      Delete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.