Friday, April 26, 2013

World Destinations 1890s-1900s: Stereoviews A-Z

 

"Monument to Maria Josefa Quaritate (Queretaro)." 
Scene from train, the Mexican Central (ca. 1900). 

"Chapultepec Park, Mexico City." Scene from the Mexican Central (ca. 1900).

The Mexican Central Railroad was built in 1884. It connected Mexico City with Mexican towns to the north and towns on the U.S. border. It brought Mexican agriculture, goods and minerals into the American market, and allowed thousands of Mexican laborers to find work in the U.S. The Mexican Central was also a means of travel for Americans into Mexico.  


"Feeding Pigeons in Public Square, Venice, Italy" (ca. 1890s)


 "Village Life in Skansen Near Stockholm, Sweden" (ca. 1890s)

 "Japanese Actors, Osaka, Japan Theatre" (ca. 1890s)


 "Rice Field at Plowing Time, Japan" (ca. 1900)


"Irrigating Plains Otherwise Sterile and Planting Sugar Cane Farm at Santa Clara, Peru" (date unknown)

Copyright 2013 ©Sharon Himsl; [stereoviews from Gravseth family archive]
Source (railroads): Donna S. Morales and John P. Schmal, 2004, How We Got Here: The Roads We Took to America;
http://www.houstonculture.org/hispanic/roads.html



Sharon M. Himsl

Writer/Author. Blogging since 2011. 
Published with Evernight Teen: 
~~The Shells of Mersing

10 comments:

  1. Looking at the images feels like walking back in time. You chose a very interesting theme!

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stereoviews today are of some beautiful places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your memories sparked by my Mt St Helen A to Z blog. I think I remember your taking me down a StereoView memory trip yesterday. We used to marvel at these 3-D pictures when I was a little girl in the early 40's. The Challenge is nearly finished and it's starting to run together! Mary at Mary A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all cool, but the Sweden one is really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last one--the planting in Peru. These are all lovely scenes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing pictures of far off places from a long time ago. One of the channels (TCM, I think) occasionally shows travelogues from the '30s and '40s. I love to watch those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DO YOU SELL A MEXICO STEREOVIEW AT LEAST AN DIGITAL IMAGE????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest. You can email me regarding image. Please see my profile page.

      Delete
    2. Hi I am collecting Mexico stereoviews and there are 2 that I like Do you sell ???///

      Delete
    3. No, I am sorry. This is a family collection.

      Delete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.