Monday, November 16, 2015

The Classics - CLOSING LINES: The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

 
"And this is the story of how the lieutenant lost his arm. When he reached home, his sisters, his mother, his wife, sobbed for a long time at the sight of the flat sleeve. "Oh, well," he said, standing shamefaced amid these tears. " I don't suppose it matters so much as all that." (Published 1895)


I love the classics and plan to alternately share some "CLOSING lines" over the coming months. Comment if you wish, or read for inspiration. Writing styles were different then, or were they really?

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. I think it feels out of context by itself. Not one to remember or quote. Just a nice story overall.

      Delete
  2. What a great closing line since a man would say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm....so reverse that. I wonder how a woman soldier would have replied!

      Delete
  3. It could have been an opening line! I don't know this author or the book ... nice cover for 1895 though I guess it could have been updated. Thanks Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have mentioned it's a Civil War story....a popular classic many remember reading as kids. Wow, that could have been the opening line....with the story then reflecting back.

      Delete
  4. I read it in high school but I didn't remember that line at all; really nothing remains of it upstairs. But I remember being engrossed by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, but I think it was more a boy's story, since few girls fought during the Civil War. Those who did had to dress as a man.

      Delete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.