Tuesday, April 21, 2015

R is for Rolling Pin: Inventions by Women A-Z

A magazine in 1891, Inventive Age, printed in its "New Patents for Sale" column the following:

"Catharine Deiner advertised the rolling pin for which she had received a patent only the month before. 'Improved rolling pin is for sale. It consists of a rolling pin with an adjustable sleeve, which when placed on the pin gives the operator four cake cutters, making in possible to rapidly cut up dough into cakes without waste. It can be used in bakeries and families.'" 


Now that is one complicated rolling pin. Take a look at the patent illustration itself, dated 1891 for Catharine Deiner of Lebanon, PA.

Catharine wrote in the patent: 

"My invention relates to an attachment to a rolling-pin, by which dough may be cut into various shapes and forms."

 So reading through the patent, I believe this is what she meant: 
  • Figures 6, 7 and 8 are the shapes and forms that can be cut.
  • Figures 2 and 5 show the cutter positions. 
  • Figure 4 is an end view of a zig-zag cutter.
  • Figure 3 is an end piece showing how it's fastened. 

Pretty complicated, if you ask me, but wouldn't it be fun to try one of these? I wonder if any still exist.

 Have you seen this rolling pin?



Sources:
Feminine Ingenuity: How Women Inventors Changed America, Anne L Macdonald, Ballantine, 1994.
http://www.google.com/patents/US448476
 

Copyright 2015 © Sharon Marie Himsl

28 comments:

  1. Excellent topic, A rolling pin just had to be invented by a woman.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this rolling pin :) However, I have seen similar devices for cutting out dough.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon .. what an amazing invention .. and I've definitely never seen one .. we used to use a glass, or a plate ... simple! but today there are many cookie cutters ... Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a standard one and another for lefse. I've used a glass too.

      Delete
  4. This rolling pin seems very familiar. I believe the one I saw was for cutting ravioli.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know when this was invented, but one of the things I've found to be GENIUS is the bands you put on a rolling pin (either end) to assure even dough thickness. Someone was really thinking about the task and used a simple solution...genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All new to me. Need to see one demonstrated :)

      Delete
  6. Wow. If I was not so bad at baking, I'd say it's a very useful invention :D

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
    MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. I like to bake but seldom have the time.

      Delete
  7. Genius! I loved to try one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fascinating. I really enjoying seeing them every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen rolling pins that roll out patterns on cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's clever! I'm familiar only with the regular one with no other cutting/shaping devices but I'm not up to date! A friend of mine brandishes her rolling pin if anyone gets in her way. That's useful too I guess. Thanks Sharon - good on Catharine Deiner ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. Hope she's only kidding. My pin is buried in a drawer, hard to get to.

      Delete
  11. Well, it is quite complicated. I think, too complicated for me. But an amazing invention nonetheless ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. In a pinch, one can use a wine bottle as a rolling pin!
    Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  13. I figure a woman would have made this and since my hubby has just been telling me what I have been doing wrong by not placing things right back where they should be and complaining about whatever, I feel I want to use that rolling pin on my ADHD man.....:)

    ReplyDelete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.