Saturday, April 12, 2014

K is for Kiwifruit: Yummy Fruits A-Z

Kiwifruit (not to be confused with the kiwi bird), also known as Chinese gooseberry, is a delightful fruit and enjoyed by many around the world. The fruit is native to China, where it is still grown in the wild

Other species of kiwifruit are native to India, Japan and Siberia. From China, the fruit spread to New Zealand in the early 20th century, where it was then planted commercially in 1937. During World War II, American soldiers tried kiwifruit and loved it. The fruit was later exported to the U.S. in 1952. Today, most kiwifruit (70%) is exported from Italy, New Zealand, and Chile, the top three producers. The U.S. ranks number nine in production. 


Fuzzy kiwifruit
There are 60 known species of the fruit, all differing in hairy exterior, color, size, shape, texture and taste. Some kiwifruit is even considered unpalatable. 
Fuzzy kiwifruit is the most common kind, and the one I purchase in the supermarket. 

Kiwifruit is sometimes used in desserts, and should not be combined with dairy products or gelatin. A protein-dissolving enzyme (actinidain) in the fruit digests the protein (which in turn liquefies the dessert). This same enzyme can cause allergies, too. People allergic to bananas, papayas or pineapples are likely allergic to kiwifruit.

Nutritionally, kiwifruit is high in vitamin C and vitamin K. It is also a good source of fiber, vitamin E. It has been shown that consuming 2 to 3 kiwifruits a day for 28 days straight reduces triglycerides in the blood and platelet aggregation, which can reduce the risk of blood clots. 

Kiwifruit Recipe

"Kiwi-Watermelon Wake-up"

1-1/2 cups diced watermelon (peeled)
1 kiwi halved and peeled
1 to 2 tablespoons honey (for desired sweetness)
1 cup chopped ice

Place all in blender (or other food processor) and process till smooth. Yield: 2-1/4 cups

Kiwifruit Joke

Common Kiwi confusion:


"Uh....would someone 
please tell me what to do!"



Kiwifruit Books


--Kiwifruit Growing (1990)
by R. Sale (nonfiction)

--Kiwifruit Growing and Handling
by Janine Hasey (1994)





Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,
    Thanks for sharing some more information
    and Kiwifruit Recipe.
    This fruit is one of my favorite.
    Keep writing
    Best Regards
    ~Philip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philip. I needed a "keep writing" comment today. This is a lot of work (as you well know!!)

      Delete
  2. I guess it could get pricey to eat 2 kiwis a day, but well worth it. I always wondered what they looked like growing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kiwi fruit and once I ate 3 in a row and my tongue started to bleed-no fooling! I felt like I ate those sweettarts. Now I take it easy but still enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is awful, Birgit. I did not read anything like this in my research, except that some people are allergic to this fruit. I wonder...

      Delete
  4. I had never seen how they grow; interesting! I do like kiwis!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They remind me of strawberries....another favorite:)

      Delete
  5. There's this great juice that I like to get that's strawberry and kiwi. It makes for an interesting combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I just mentioned strawberries above....yes, I can see this combination would be good. Thanks, Liz.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sharon the triglyceride info couldn't have come at a better time for this household... kiwi daiquiri's here we come... :D

    ReplyDelete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.