Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year 2014


Hi. Just wanted to wish everyone a wonderful 2014......in all your pursuits, whether it's writing goals, improved relationships, or some personal quest. We all deserve a fresh start. 2014 is the year!

Some of my accomplishments in 2013:

--The blog. Last year was a huge learning curve for me as a blogger, debuting with the A-Z in April and deciding what I wanted to do with my blogger life hence forth. It is still a work in progress, but for now I am zeroing in on what drew me to blogging in the first place, my fascination with American culture and a desire to establish a web presence for when I finished my novel. I wandered about but have returned to these two goals, so progress there.

--The novel. I wish I could say I have a completed novel. I DO have a polished draft, with the exception of the first and last chapters. I realized at some point that these two chapters needed to reflect each other, so I have been working on linking the two. I have written an action-adventure with elements of mystery and romance, so I have had tons of plot details to check as well.

--Gardening pursuits. Gardening and landscaping a new yard (5 years now) has been ongoing. I'm excited to finally have an apple tree, and a vine maple. Brick edging was also installed and ten shrubs planted. I do most of the work, but my husband is always willing to help with the heavy work. 

--Exercise and weight. Since August I have lost 17 pounds thanks to my treadmill and Weight Watchers. I credit WW a lot, but I have never belonged to this organization, except to use their cookbooks and calculators--all available on line for purchase. I also designed a table for my husband and me to record our daily points and weekly weight. My husband has also lost 17 pounds, but on his own had lost 13 pounds since January, totally a whopping 30 pounds. With results like that, we are committed now. We also use Wii Fit Plus, mostly to weigh in and see our progress on the Wii graph. It's really instructive, and also a fun way to exercise. When the weather improves we'll start biking again.

Peace of Mind. I have been working on several issues, mainly where to live in retirement and what to do about my lovely family who lives all over the U.S. We have decided to stay put for at least a year. We both work part-time at the university and since our insurance health policy is good, why rock a sound boat? Meanwhile, I am working on using the telephone more, open to using Skype (connection is poor right now), and connecting more on Facebook. Facebook is NOT my favorite form of communication but so many people love it. I have prayed about all this, and on a spiritual level, I am in a much better place. I seem to be on the right path.

Goals for 2014:
(In general, more of the same, but I do have a few specifics).

--Finish edits and submit novel this month (I will drop off the grid for a while if necessary). 

--Start a new novel.

--Research other places to submit my writing (ones that actually pay something). An article, a short story? Not sure about this one, as I'm not sure this market exists anymore. So many people write for free these days. The goal would be to submit once a month. Any comments?

--Read one book a week.

--Attend Master Gardener's class and obtain certification. I'll be in class once a week, January through mid-April.

--I also add being a little kinder to those around me. In my busyness, I know I sometimes neglect the moment. So I share the following quote:

Do it that very moment.
Don't put it off--don't wait.
There's no use in doing a kindness
If you do it a day too late.
(--Kingsley)

That's it for me. I hope your goals are firming up and giving you new direction. Thank you for supporting my blog efforts. You mean a lot to me.

All the best in 2014!!

 
Copyright 2013 © Sharon Himsl

17 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new year goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz. I have enjoyed your visits and humor at your blog. Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog was a very wonderful accomplishment for you in 2013. Best wishes for 2014. Can't wait to see the changes at the end of next year, but isn't it glorious that there is a whole new year in which to pursue them, with prayer and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cathy. That's means so much, since it was you who talked me into blogging in the first place! All the best in 2014, and success with your current romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon, congrats on all your successful achievements in 2013, hope they continue into 2014! And, being a quote fanatic - I love that!
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And also for signing up to follow. 2014 should be an interesting year, so we shall see. Love that we have a clean slate. All the best to you and yours!

      Delete
    2. P.S. to Suzanne. Cannot comment at your blog!! I think it has something to do with Google+, which I am not, because of the limitations it puts on people commenting. I hope there is a work around or some setting.....and that you see this!

      Delete
  6. You had much to be thankful for in 2013! Congratulations on everything you've accomplished. Speaking of the merits of Wii, it really worked for me, too. And good luck to you while you work toward your new goals as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. Isn't Wii amazing? The technology just keeps getting better all the time. Best wishes for a successful 2014 in all your pursuits!

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you, and good luck with 2014's goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Trisha. All the best to you and yours in 2014, too! It could be an exciting year for us all.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on a successful year Sharon, I have a lot to thank the A-Z challenge for too. I think I am looking forward to the next one. :D Only two chapters left to polish is a something to be proud of, and I hope your wish to be kinder reaches every corner of the globe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your many achievements last year! And wishing you much success toward your new goals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ida-And, thank you too for the kind words. Still wondering about the a-z. Had a great topic, not sure I can match it!

    Thanks, Kimberly. Next year has so much potential. Wishing you success and happiness in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon, good luck with your goals. Enjoyed reading about your accomplishments for 2013. I don't know if an article market exists for pay. I used to do a lot of freelance work, but the newspaper market for that now seems little or non-existant.

    Happy New Year!
    Mary Montague Sikes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year.

    I looked up vine maples - very attractive looking tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Mary. I know what you mean about the market. My thoughts exactly but thought I would check. Best wishes for a good year.
    *********
    Patsy, nice to meet you and thanks for the follow! I noticed some writing links at your site and markets to explore. Have written travel before, but 'rusty' on short story writing. All the best!

    ReplyDelete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.