Saturday, February 2, 2013

Happy Groundhog Day

"Well, it's Groundhog Day . . . again."  My favorite line in Groundhog Day (1993) starring Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell. My husband and I started watching this movie every February several years ago. How many times now? We haven't a clue, but we love the tradition. Any other fans out there? What are your favorite lines?


Ten more of the best lines:
1. "Today is tomorrow! It happened!"
2. "Don't you have some kind of a line that you keep open for emergencies or for celebrities? I'm both. I'm a celebrity in an emergency."
3. "What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same, and nothing that you did mattered?"
4. "My years are not advancing as fast as you might think."
5. "He might be OK ... well, no, probably not now ... "
6. "I'm a god. I'm not the God I don't think."
7. "I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank pina coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over?
8. "I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life."
9. "This is pitiful - 1,000 people freezing their butts off to worship rat."
10. "What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today."

Ten Facts about the Groundhog:
1 - also known as a woodchuck, whistle-pig, or land beaver
2 - a member of the rodent family
3 - most common in the northeast and central United States; but found as far north as Alaska, and as far south as Georgia
4 - measures in size from 16 to 26 inches (tails are 6 inches long)
5 - lives up to 6 years in wild; some reported to live 8 to 14 years; but in captivity only 2 to 3 years
6 - diet includes wild grasses, other vegetation, berries, grubs, grasshoppers, insects, snails and other small animals, and nuts
7 - lives in a burrow, which can have 2 to 5 entrances to escape predators
8 - hibernates, often in a separate winter burrow; usually from October to March or April; but in milder climates as little as 3 months
9 - can also climb trees and swim
10 - when afraid, the hairs on a groundhog's tail stand straight up; the tail looks like a hairbrush!


Copyright 2013 © Sharon Himsl

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog



Sharon M. Himsl

Writer/Author. Blogging since 2011. 
Published with Evernight Teen: 
~~The Shells of Mersing


3 comments:

  1. I think Mr. Groundhog saw his shadow this morning. I'm loving the springlike weather on the Palouse. Interesting tidbits about the movie and groundhogs!

    I've always liked Bill Murray flicks. This particular movie annoys me, although the message is good. I laughed more watching WHAT ABOUT BOB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...which in groundhog lore means 6 more weeks of winter! (Phil in Punxsutawney didn't see his shadow today). Sure was a pretty spring teaser though. I think a lot of people relate to Bill Murray's character, who keeps having to relearn things again and again until he finally gets it right. Some days really DO feel like that. Never did see What About Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how often I've felt stuck in "Groundhog Day," like Bill Murray!

    I suppose we've had a mild winter, but I still can't wait for spring!!!

    ReplyDelete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.