Wednesday, October 4, 2017

IWSG: Seasonal Inspiration and Not-so-Inspirational Other


We painted the garden shed last week and I can't stop staring at it. The blue doors make such a difference, don't you think? We almost chose boring brown. 

I don't have much to say this month writing-wise, other than I'm still writing and making progress on the new novel, a sequel to my recently published one. I wrote a preliminary first chapter and had fun playing with a humorous scene, but mostly worked on the outline, which is slow going. Received my first royalty check on the sale of The Shells of Mersing and didn't run out to celebrate. To be fair, the not-so-Inspirational check reflected only one week's worth of e-book sales, not print, but my husband and I quickly did a retake on the new garage we thought we might build. Ha--ha... It was enough to buy a giant Snickers bar, we joked. Royalty checks are due out again this October, so keeping my fingers crossed but expectations more in keeping. Very excited though that the book is at our local Barnes & Noble on a local author's shelf for Young Adult. I haven't checked to verify this (we live one hour away), but was told they ordered two copies in. Maybe that will qualify me for a box of Snickers!



Those are the Umptanums in the background. Never mind we lost most of July and August to thick un-breathable fire smoke and couldn't enjoy the outdoors. 'Mother nature' has made a glorious comeback and memory of that smoke has already begun to fade.  

In answer to the month's question....Have you ever slipped any of your personal information into your characters either by accident or on purpose?.... No, not really. I feel strongly about not sharing family information that could embarrass or cause harm. When I started writing I think there were family members that worried I might reveal some of the family skeletons. My granddaughter would really like me to use her name, however, which I will if I can come up with the right character. She's such a neat kid 👩 



Time to get the pumpkins ready and find some sales on candy for Halloween. We usually go through six bags or more, but I don't mind. The kids have a ball, and with all the negativity in the world right now and the terrible shooting in Las Vegas, I'm all for making the world a little brighter and whimsical for them whenever I can.




So 'hi' to all the writers 
and readers out there. 
Wishing you a fruitful 
and glorious autumn. 


HAPPY WRITING and READING! 




The awesome co-hosts for the October 4 posting of the IWSG are Olga Godim, Chemist Ken,Jennifer Hawes, and Tamara Narayan!


THANK YOU!!!



16 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    Well done on receiving your first royalty cheque on the sale of The Shells of Mersing. I suppose a small cheque, or check, is indeed nothing to um, Snicker at.

    I kinda' staring at your blue door garden shed.

    That smoke seemed to go on for ages. I was getting weekly reports from a friend I phone in Kelowna, British Columbia. Thank goodness it has cleared.

    Me either, I would never knowingly slip personal info into my writing. Although, a certain dog might just mention some pawsonal info.

    Time for some pumpkin for Canadian Thanksgiving. Your pumpkin reference just reminded me.

    Happy writing and reading to you, Sharon.

    Gary 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary. Thanks. It helps that I happen to like Snickers a lot! Have fun carving a Halloween pumpkin. Does a "certain dog" likes pumpkin?

      Delete
    2. Not sure if a certain dog likes pumpkin. However, she does like "Howlloween"!

      Goodnight and good morning from England.

      Gary

      Delete
  2. I think Halloween for me would have a very different feel if I lived in the northern hemisphere - as it is, that time of year is us going into our hot weather, so it's a different ballgame. I guess it's the same with Christmas here as well.

    I still love Halloween decorations etc. though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trisha. I understand how you feel. When my husband and I lived 5 degrees from the equator in Malaysia, U.S. holidays felt so weird, especially Christmas. Our tree was a potted palm tree!

      Delete
  3. Too bad about the fires. Lots of people here, in BC, suffered from smoke as well, but Vancouver itself, where I live, was better. A little bit of smoke on bad days.
    Good luck with your further book sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those fires were destructive. Feel so bad for those who lost property. Thanks Olga for the encouraging word.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes royalty checks are a good meal only. Hope your next one is better.
    The blue doors really do look good on the shed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as usual, I have much to learn. The lessons just keep coming. Thanks for the kind words, Alex!

      Delete
  5. I never had a royalty check that made me jump for joy, but maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to know I'm not the only one. Yes, maybe someday is the hope, and hard work eventually pays off. Writing books also happens to be a lot of fun. Thanks, Chrys.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photo! The blue doors were a great choice... :)

    And good luck with the next royalty check! Sorry the first one had been a let-down. (Know what that's like. I'm lucky if I can afford a couple new inking pens with what I earn monthly as an artist, haha.)

    And oh, how cool about your book being at your local Barnes and Noble! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. It really feels like a lot of ups and downs. One thing is for certain...it's not a boring ride. Hope you like your new website and the profits pick up for you too!

      Delete
  7. Anything is a learning experience and we just need to look at it in this manner. Loving your blue door..blue meanins healing so take that and be inspired by what you see when you look out the window. I think it is time to use your granddaughters name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did not know this about the color blue. Healing, huh. So cool, could use some of that right now. And yes, thinking about my granddaughter's name for a book. Love her oodles and oodles! Thanks for visiting Birgit :)

      Delete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.