Monday, December 14, 2015

The Classics - Opening Lines: Heidi by Johanna Spyri

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Timeless_Books.jpg/320px-Timeless_Books.jpg
"The little old town of Mayenfeld is charmingly situated. From it a footpath leads through green, well-wooded stretches to the foot of the heights which look down imposingly upon the valley." 
(Published 1881; translated into English 1899)


I love the classics and plan to share some "opening lines" over the coming months. Comment if you like, or read for inspiration. Writing styles were different then, but were they really?
 

10 comments:

  1. Heidi is such a good story-love the opening line so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley Temple was a darling Heidi. I know there are other movie versions. Never read the book.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for another excellent opening lines.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.' (Little Women)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes....another great line. Books plant memories that come back to us like old friends. Jo always spoke her mind too, which I loved about her. Thanks Julia.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon,

    That's a brilliant opening line that encapsulates the ambience.

    Take care.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, ambiance. One of my favorite words. Thanks Gary.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Sharon - I never knew who was the author of Heidi - or that it was written so long ago. Great opening lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. I didn't either :( Good to know though. Authors often get lost in the shuffle of time.

      Delete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.