Monday, August 17, 2015

The Classics - Opening Lines: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d6/Timeless_Books.jpg/320px-Timeless_Books.jpgIn the town there were two mutes, and they were always together. Early every morning they would come out from the house where they lived and walk arm in arm down the street to work. The two friends were very different. (Published 1940)



I love the classics and plan to share some "opening lines" over the coming months. Comment if you like, or read for inspiration. Writing styles were different then, but were they really?

12 comments:

  1. Don't think I've heard of this one before. That opening has me intrigued, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never read this either. This was McCuller's first novel and she was 23 years old at the time! Pretty awesome start for one so young. She was a literary sensation.

      Delete
  2. I've never read this one but I sure love that title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was such a writer's writer. I read this a long time ago, but don't remember it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never read it but it begins with an intriguing first sentence. There could be no other beginning like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the title, but I've never read this one. Looks like I need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title is one of the best I've read. Also in the opening, I like that two mutes can be so different. The temptation would be to lump them together as one and the same. Intriguing and makes me want to read more.

      Delete
  6. I have never even heard of this one but, like the others, the opening lines makes it intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Birgit. Hope you're having a good summer.

    ReplyDelete

"Stay" is a charming word in a friend's vocabulary
(A.B. Alcott). Stay and visit awhile. Your comments mean a lot to me.

About Me

My photo
You could call me an eternal optimist, but I'm really just a dreamer. l believe in dream fulfillment, because 'sometimes' dreams come true. This is a blog about my journey as a writer and things that inspire and motivate me.